WELCOME to the debut of “The Truth Is!”, a blog of reporting and commentary that aims to be informative, thoughtful and provocative. At least initially, the blog will have a strong heartland flavor by virtue of the connection of a number of us to Cowles family journalism. I am former editor of the Des Moines Register’s opinion pages. Another contributor, Michael Gartner, is former editor of the paper; he later served as president of NBC News. Another former Register editor who has agreed to contribute, Geneva Overholser, is director of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg school of journalism. Followers of the blog will have access also to the work of Herbert Strentz of Des Moines, a close Register and other newspaper watcher who once headed Drake University’s journalism school. Bill Leonard, a longtime Register editorial writer, will add insights.

“The Truth Is!” will be supervised by my daughter, Marcia Wolff, a communications lawyer for 20 years with Arnold and Porter (Washington, D.C.). Invaluable technical assistance in assembling and maintaining the blog is provided by my grandsons Julian Cranberg, a college first-year, and Daniel Wolff, a high school senior.

If you detect a whiff of nepotism in this operation, so be it. All of it is strictly a labor of love. —Gil Cranberg

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Gilbert Cranberg: UNCLE SAM, PUSHER

In a few weeks I will have another birthday, no thanks to Uncle Sam, who unwittingly tried to kill me by getting me hooked on tobacco. It happened during my military service in World War II. The government in those days included free cigarettes in rations and put low-cost cartons within easy reach.

Although we were warned against smoking at night in combat, cigarettes were everywhere. Almost all of my buddies smoked, and I almost joined them.

Then I went on a patrol in the Philippines and witnessed a horrifying scene that turned me forever against tobacco. The scene: men in my outfit driven out of their minds by their tobacco craving when their cigarettes ran out.

They were so out of control the lone officer on the patrol had to face them down with a rifle and order them into a line that snaked past the soldier with the last remaining cigarette. Each GI was allowed a single drag on the cigarette. The sight of that line of desperate men getting their fix has stayed with me to this day.

The watchwords in the military were “Never volunteer!” I volunteered for that patrol, and it turned out to be among the best things I ever did. By turning me against smoking, it probably added years to my life.

Nowadays, smoking is on the decline, but an estimted18 percent of adults still smoke. Perhaps they need to experience the frenzy I witnessed.

No comments: