WELCOME to the debut of “The Truth Is!”, a blog of reporting and commentary that aims to be informative, thoughtful and provocative. At least initially, the blog will have a strong heartland flavor by virtue of the connection of a number of us to Cowles family journalism. I am former editor of the Des Moines Register’s opinion pages. Another contributor, Michael Gartner, is former editor of the paper; he later served as president of NBC News. Another former Register editor who has agreed to contribute, Geneva Overholser, is director of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg school of journalism. Followers of the blog will have access also to the work of Herbert Strentz of Des Moines, a close Register and other newspaper watcher who once headed Drake University’s journalism school. Bill Leonard, a longtime Register editorial writer, will add insights.

“The Truth Is!” will be supervised by my daughter, Marcia Wolff, a communications lawyer for 20 years with Arnold and Porter (Washington, D.C.). Invaluable technical assistance in assembling and maintaining the blog is provided by my grandsons Julian Cranberg, a college first-year, and Daniel Wolff, a high school senior.

If you detect a whiff of nepotism in this operation, so be it. All of it is strictly a labor of love. —Gil Cranberg

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Gilbert Cranberg: SHIELD LAW A TWO-EDGED SWORD

The issue of a federal shield law is back on the front burner in light of the government’s surveillance of the Associated Press. News organizations are hot under the collar about the effort to get to the bottom of news leaks by surreptitiously spying on AP reporters and editors. President Obama gave a boost to chances for federal shield legislation when he asserted May 23 the need to “pass a media shield law to guard against government overreach.”      

Some 40 states and the District of Columbia have such laws, but they are no protection when the federal government is the overreacher. I know first-hand the value of media shield legislation. A few years ago I fought a pitched battle with local Iowa officials over a money-losing horse track they insisted on subsidizing with tax funds. When I disparaged them and their plans in articles I wrote they retaliated with a subpoena demanding to know my sources. I would have gone to jail rather than reveal them, but the Iowa Shield Law squelched the inquiry. 

Naturally, I’m a fan of shield laws, but I have to admit they are problematic. The Iowa officials in my dispute with them fought to keep me from invoking the state’s shield law by arguing to the court that while I was once a journalist, my retirement from the Des Moines Register ended my status as a journalist. The presiding judge read many of the articles I had written post-retirement and declared me to be a journalist covered by the Iowa shield law. 

I was thrilled to be one of a very few court-certified journalists, but also troubled by it. We do not have government licensing of the press in this country nor government certification of journalists. Both would be clearly incompatible with the First Amendment. But shield laws inevitably require identification of the protected persons. That means lawmakers deciding who is a journalist. 

Congress will find itself enmeshed in this issue as the federal shield proposal works its way through the legislative process. It will be interesting to see how the nation’s media lawyers reconcile their support for the First Amendment with what looks uncomfortably like a form of government certification of the press.

No comments: