WELCOME to the debut of “The Truth Is!”, a blog of reporting and commentary that aims to be informative, thoughtful and provocative. At least initially, the blog will have a strong heartland flavor by virtue of the connection of a number of us to Cowles family journalism. I am former editor of the Des Moines Register’s opinion pages. Another contributor, Michael Gartner, is former editor of the paper; he later served as president of NBC News. Another former Register editor who has agreed to contribute, Geneva Overholser, is director of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg school of journalism. Followers of the blog will have access also to the work of Herbert Strentz of Des Moines, a close Register and other newspaper watcher who once headed Drake University’s journalism school. Bill Leonard, a longtime Register editorial writer, will add insights.

“The Truth Is!” will be supervised by my daughter, Marcia Wolff, a communications lawyer for 20 years with Arnold and Porter (Washington, D.C.). Invaluable technical assistance in assembling and maintaining the blog is provided by my grandsons Julian Cranberg, a college first-year, and Daniel Wolff, a high school senior.

If you detect a whiff of nepotism in this operation, so be it. All of it is strictly a labor of love. —Gil Cranberg

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Gilbert Cranberg: A REFORM HELPFUL TO DOCTORS AND PATIENTS

Not long ago my urologist seemed a bit insistent, or so I thought, that I try a particular medication for enlarged prostate. Almost immediately after taking the drug my vision deteriorated markedly. It returned to normal when, on my own, I stopped the prostate medication. Coincidence or cause and effect?

My physician, who practiced in an academic setting, seemed only mildly interested when I reported my experience.

All of this flooded back to mind when I read in the May 14 New York Times about how “gifts and payments to physicians from drug and medical device companies have been rampant in medicine for decades.” Could gifts to my physician have made him defensive about a benefactor’s product and explain his indifference to my complaint about it?

Those are reasonable suspicions that might also be totally unfair. When I had reported my experience to the Food and Drug Administration, the agency sent me pages of reports it had received from patients of adverse experiences with the same medication. Some of the complaints about the product were plainly preposterous. Perhaps my urologist knew that he should not take too seriously the report from a lay person about an adverse drug reaction.

Still, it would have been helpful to know if my physician had been on the take from a drug company when he prescribed that company’s product. Helpful not only to patients but also to physicians. Next year when the federal Physician Payment Sunshine Act goes into effect nationwide patients won’t have to wonder, as I did, because payments to doctors will be on a searchable record. That will be wonderful protection for patients and doctor alike.

No comments: