WELCOME to the debut of “The Truth Is!”, a blog of reporting and commentary that aims to be informative, thoughtful and provocative. At least initially, the blog will have a strong heartland flavor by virtue of the connection of a number of us to Cowles family journalism. I am former editor of the Des Moines Register’s opinion pages. Another contributor, Michael Gartner, is former editor of the paper; he later served as president of NBC News. Another former Register editor who has agreed to contribute, Geneva Overholser, is director of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg school of journalism. Followers of the blog will have access also to the work of Herbert Strentz of Des Moines, a close Register and other newspaper watcher who once headed Drake University’s journalism school. Bill Leonard, a longtime Register editorial writer, will add insights.

“The Truth Is!” will be supervised by my daughter, Marcia Wolff, a communications lawyer for 20 years with Arnold and Porter (Washington, D.C.). Invaluable technical assistance in assembling and maintaining the blog is provided by my grandsons Julian Cranberg, a college first-year, and Daniel Wolff, a high school senior.

If you detect a whiff of nepotism in this operation, so be it. All of it is strictly a labor of love. —Gil Cranberg

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Gilbert Cranberg: GEORGE W. BUSH’S FAREWELL ADDRESS

My fellow Americans:

 At the outset I want to thank the networks for granting my request for time to respond to critics of my handling of Iraq during my term in office. My initial reaction was to let it go, but I see now there has been no let-up; the events in Syria have given my critics a fresh excuse to heap abuse on my conduct of the war against Saddam, so I have decided to way (sic) in and share with you my reasons for this country’s decision to wage war on Iraq. 

But first, I want to share with you what I learned in Washington. It’s a place where folks will look you square in the eye and lie, lie, lie. My big regret is that I did not learn the cardinal rule of Washington life until I trusted what the liars told me about Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction and allowed Colin Powell to fall into the same trap.

Powell was a four-star general. I was a lowly member of the Texas Air National Guard. Don’t get me wrong, I am grateful to the Guard for allowing me to serve. Whenever I hear the term boots on the ground I am reminded all over again of the fine young men and women who serve their country in whatever role fate decrees for them. As for Powell, for the life of me I can’t figure out how he failed to question the lies he was fed and then embarrassed hisself (sic) at the United Nations before a worldwide audience. Colin deserved much better and for any part I played in the disgraceful treatment of him, I hereby apologize.

Now, why did we declare war on Iraq? That’s a very good question. I think about it a lot, especially when I lie awake in the middle of the night. To be honest, I’m not rightly sure. It made sense at the time. I was showed (sic) a map. Iraq and Iran were very close together; both began with I and each had four letters. And one of them had plans for a new-caler (sic) weapon.

Every now and then I wake from a nightmare about starting a war with the wrong country. But I shouldn’t burden all you fine folks with my problems. May the good Lord shine his countinence (sic) upon you.

No comments: