WELCOME to the debut of “The Truth Is!”, a blog of reporting and commentary that aims to be informative, thoughtful and provocative. At least initially, the blog will have a strong heartland flavor by virtue of the connection of a number of us to Cowles family journalism. I am former editor of the Des Moines Register’s opinion pages. Another contributor, Michael Gartner, is former editor of the paper; he later served as president of NBC News. Another former Register editor who has agreed to contribute, Geneva Overholser, is director of the University of Southern California’s Annenberg school of journalism. Followers of the blog will have access also to the work of Herbert Strentz of Des Moines, a close Register and other newspaper watcher who once headed Drake University’s journalism school. Bill Leonard, a longtime Register editorial writer, will add insights.

“The Truth Is!” will be supervised by my daughter, Marcia Wolff, a communications lawyer for 20 years with Arnold and Porter (Washington, D.C.). Invaluable technical assistance in assembling and maintaining the blog is provided by my grandsons Julian Cranberg, a college first-year, and Daniel Wolff, a high school senior.

If you detect a whiff of nepotism in this operation, so be it. All of it is strictly a labor of love. —Gil Cranberg

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Geneva Overholser: GENE PATTERSON -- HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT

Gene Patterson's death Saturday evening http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/14/us/eugene-c-patterson-editor-and-civil-rights-crusader-dies-at-89.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 leaves a hole in journalism, and a hole in my heart. He was a giant of a civil rights-era editor, whose column after the Birmingham bombing won a Pulitzer Prize and was read live on TV news by Walter Cronkite. (Read the column here: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/gene-patterson-a-flower-for-the-graves/nTt8Q/ ).

I went to see Gene in late November, having heard he was in hospice care. Few I know in our field have thought more lucidly about journalism. What's more, I was confident that, even at age 89, he would be ready to grapple with the future (something I'm attempting to do myself, for a research project). When I arrived at his St. Petersburg, Florida, home, Gene, as always, was fully prepared. He had written up his thoughts in detail. (You can read them here, at the Poynter Institute site http://www.ajc.com/news/news/gene-patterson-a-flower-for-the-graves/nTt8Q/ ).

When, after my visit, I heard about the tragedy in Newtown, I thought immediately of Gene's column after Birmingham. He knew at that moment, he said, that it was an occasion on which even the most hardened souls would at long last be open to the need for change. "Nobody can stomach the idea of little girls being killed in Sunday school," he told me. Surely, I thought in turnm nobody could stand the notion of 20 little children being shot in their classrooms. So I wrote a piece called "Could Newtown Be for Gun Control What Birmingham Was for Civil Rights?" http://mije.org/could-newtown-be-gun-control-what-birmingham-was-civil-rights That's the kind of effect a conversation with Gene would have on you.

Last Thursday, I went back to St. Pete to see Gene. He was still as lucid as could be: Names, dates, full quotations -- they rolled off his tongue. He was full of laughter, of stinging critiques, of warm flattery. But, this time, unlike in November, he was ready to go. “Don't worry”, he told me, “I'll get back to you from the other side. But I won't be around much longer now.” As usual, he knew exactly what he was talking about.

No comments: